Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Dirty engine oil can cause sluggishness as well.
Is the check engine light on? Does it work?
Simple items you can do yourself.

Do the simple stuff first:
Engine oil change. Use the correct oil - 10W30. 7quarts on the 4.2 inline 6 cylinder.
What does the inside of the oil filler cap look like?
Is transmission fluid up to the full line? Uses Dexron VI. Top it off. What does it look like?
Is the air filter totally plugged up or can you see sunshine through it? You'll need a screwdriver to get it out.
When was last time fuel filter was replaced? Google how to change it - no jack needed.

Then, like Ravalli says, have a muffler shop check for plugged cat. At 212K, that's a good bet, but what I've listed above are maintenance items which will need to be done regardless since we have no maintenance history on the vehicle.

DO NOT shoot the parts cannon willy-nilly or you may see lots of hubby's money go bye-bye.

Welcome to the Forum!
Don't be afraid to ask questions as none of us are mind readers!
I would use 5w30
Dirty engine oil can cause sluggishness as well.
Is the check engine light on? Does it work?
Simple items you can do yourself.

Do the simple stuff first:
Engine oil change. Use the correct oil - 10W30. 7quarts on the 4.2 inline 6 cylinder.
What does the inside of the oil filler cap look like?
Is transmission fluid up to the full line? Uses Dexron VI. Top it off. What does it look like?
Is the air filter totally plugged up or can you see sunshine through it? You'll need a screwdriver to get it out.
When was last time fuel filter was replaced? Google how to change it - no jack needed.

Then, like Ravalli says, have a muffler shop check for plugged cat. At 212K, that's a good bet, but what I've listed above are maintenance items which will need to be done regardless since we have no maintenance history on the vehicle.

DO NOT shoot the parts cannon willy-nilly or you may see lots of hubby's money go bye-bye.

Welcome to the Forum!
Don't be afraid to ask questions as none of us are mind readers!
I wouldn't use 10w30 only 5w30, and I doubt dirty engine oil would cause sluggish acceleration either...it could be a dirty fuel filter, how long has it been since you changed plugs and air filter ?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.