Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated. My wife is the primary driver of our 03 TB and in the last month it has died on her twice while she is driving down the road. I live in Phoenix so it's 100deg+ out here, battery is new and we have not linked the stalling to the AC's operation.

Any ideas before I spend a small fortune getting it diagnosed at a dealer or mechanic?

Also, while in my local Checker Auto, the guys in the store suggested it might be my alternator... how easy is this to replace in the 03 TB?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It's almost not possible for it to be the alternator. What are they smoking!?!? :eek: :hopeless

If you haven't cleaned the throttle body, it's still a good idea, since it's a cheap and DIY kind of thing.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

But in your case, I'd start by guessing it's the ignition switch, which you can search for and is another cheap DIY item. They fail often and can cause exactly that symptom. Has it ever failed to even click when you go to start it?

When it stalled for her, was she coasting, or on the gas? Night or day? Did she notice any gauges out of position or did they look OK, just the engine stopped? How did she get it going again? Just turn the key and it lit right up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st time: coasting about to come to a stoplight during the day. When I arrived on scene, it started right up.

2nd time: pulling in to a parking spot, daytime, started right back up.

But, now that you mention the ignition switch...it got me thinking... she carries a ton of keys on her key ring and I would imagine that the weight of her key ring in the ignition may be turning the ignition to the off position... if their weak to begin with.

This would explain why it's never happened to me using my lighter key ring...

What do you think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts