Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the last few hours reading everything I could to learn about lifts, tires, suspensions, air filters and exhausts for my 03' TB LTZ. This SUV needs new tires, could benefit from updated suspension and needs to handle snow and construction sites. I'm concerned about getting over my head and I don't want to make bad decision and have to redo something later. Here's what I'm thinking so far. Any input would be appreciated plus answers to some of my questions.

For around $280 I can install the K & N 77-3036KP filter myself. This may take a back seat depending on the lift and tire costs, but the reviews are mixed on the value to benefit. I am considering a new exhaust (the factory one is about shot) to go with a new dual exhaust.
Question 1: What performance HP could I expect from this combo?

I live in Chicago, so working on the SUV myself is out of the question. Question 2: Anyone know of a reputable shop that can install a lift kit and willing to work me through the details?

It seems like everyone is a fan of the BDS 2" suspension and the 2" body lift kits. The BDS lift offers a rear gas shock absorber for an upcharge. Question 3: Do I need the gas shock?
Question 4: Does a 2" suspension and a 2" body lift actually raise the TB by 4"?

As far as tires go, the bigger the better, so I'm trying to get the largest ones to work with the BDS kit that will mount on the stock 17" rims. I'm guessing I'll need the 1.5" wheel spacers. I'd like to get 285/70R17 goodyear wrangles MT/R.

Big fan of the site. I'll be sure to post some pics once I get my head around how to prioritize the mods. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
337 Posts
I spent the last few hours reading everything I could to learn about lifts, tires, suspensions, air filters and exhausts for my 03' TB LTZ. This SUV needs new tires, could benefit from updated suspension and needs to handle snow and construction sites. I'm concerned about getting over my head and I don't want to make bad decision and have to redo something later. Here's what I'm thinking so far. Any input would be appreciated plus answers to some of my questions.

For around $280 I can install the K & N 77-3036KP filter myself. This may take a back seat depending on the lift and tire costs, but the reviews are mixed on the value to benefit. I am considering a new exhaust (the factory one is about shot) to go with a new dual exhaust.
Question 1: What performance HP could I expect from this combo?

I live in Chicago, so working on the SUV myself is out of the question. Question 2: Anyone know of a reputable shop that can install a lift kit and willing to work me through the details?

It seems like everyone is a fan of the BDS 2" suspension and the 2" body lift kits. The BDS lift offers a rear gas shock absorber for an upcharge. Question 3: Do I need the gas shock?
Question 4: Does a 2" suspension and a 2" body lift actually raise the TB by 4"?

As far as tires go, the bigger the better, so I'm trying to get the largest ones to work with the BDS kit that will mount on the stock 17" rims. I'm guessing I'll need the 1.5" wheel spacers. I'd like to get 285/70R17 goodyear wrangles MT/R.

Big fan of the site. I'll be sure to post some pics once I get my head around how to prioritize the mods. I appreciate the help.

1: I would never pay 280.00 for a cold air intake. You're paying for the name. A drop in K&N will do just fine. If you're going to do off roading or any kind of sand/dirt/mud driving w/ your truck your filter will just get clogged much quicker w/ a cold air intake. The stock intake of the truck isn't that restrictive anyways- <So just buy the 45.00 K&N filter w/ the cleaning kit.> My :m2:. Keeping in mind I work on modding my sports car for speed and performance.

2: Don't know of a good shop~ But if you've got a weekend (Even just a day) the tools and a REALLY good friend I would advise you to do it on your own. Not hard at all- just takes time and some thought. From when I was looking for a place for install the cheapest I could find cost JUST as much as the kit itself. Thank GOD I lived next to Roadie:woot::bonk:.

3: I would get the gas shock if I were you. They're not THAT much more expensive and the stockers don't stay good for very long. I've heard at 45k the stockers have had it. PLUS you'll already be in there. It would be a GREAT idea to change them out.

4: If I'm correct the suspension lifts the tuck 2". The body lift will just raise the body- (the frame will still be at the same hight) The 2" bodylift will only be good for better tire clearance.

Hope this answers any Q's you may have. Anyone feel free to correct anything I may be wrong about. Good luck modding and have fun. You won't regret it!!! :)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
First off, welcome.

Second, you may want to split your questions into the appropriate areas of the forum. Questions regarding a K&N filter should be in an engine performance section. Questions regarding a good shop should be directed to others in your area. Maybe a PM?

You need to evaluate what you can afford and how important it is to your goals. If you just want construction sites and snow, you should be posting in the rims/tires/suspension section. If you are going trail riding, keep on posting here.

To give you a decent overview of possible modifications read over the suspension/tires/specs sticky first. Then you may want to check over my website to get some detailed build information: http://offroad.thedownings.us/ I tried my best to explain how I prioritized and modified my vehicle for trails. Happy reading.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
337 Posts
Its also possible to raise the back end up another inch or two by adding and inflating airbags.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts