Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the fuel filter on my '03 LTZ. ALL the info and videos I've seen show it in front of the tank next to the frame. But it is not there! I wanted to change it as I never have and I now have a fuel leak above the tank somewhere that runs down the sides of the tank and drips off the bottom. Also the engine is hard to start occasionally no doubt due to fuel pressure problems.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
I think I'd have a look at that leak before worrying about a filter .
You might find the filter has been relocated .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I agree. I'd have to drop the tank for a look see. Don't know what all is involved with that. I do have it scheduled with neighborhood shop on Tuesday. But if it's just a hose fitting or something simple, I can fix it myself.

Still need to know where the fuel filter is located on an '03 LTZ.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There really aren't any hose fittings that are serviceable on an in-tank fuel injection system. The pressures are too high to leave the possibility of a high pressure leak to feed a fire.

What you might have would be more along the line of the EVAP system and possibly part of the refuelling circuits that may be serviceable.

If you need a repair on that stuff, learn how to plastic weld 'cause they are kinda spend-y.

While we're at it .... I do not believe that the EXT versions even have fuel filter. There's no listing in parts catalogs.... and just KNOWING that every car has a filter.....I nearly went blind tracing all the lines to and from the tank and fuel rail and return!

I never found one. Nope.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't seem to leak just sitting with engine running at idle. But after driving a few miles and over a few bumps, the bottom of the tank is dripping with fuel. So I now suspect the fittings at the fuel pump are cracked. Pumps are reasonable on Amazon. But, I'm debating whether I want to tackle this myself. Doesn't look too difficult a job. I live in the rust belt so breaking of the tank mounting hardware is a concern. Maybe spray a little PB Blast on them and let it sit for a few hours before trying to wrench those nuts loose.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmmmmm..... maybe the pump-to-tank o-ring? A pressurized fitting would leak all the time a pump runs.

Sloshing the fuel by driving, could be getting out from that mating flange.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes could well be. As I stated previously above, it doesn't always want to fire up on the first few cranks. Turning on the key, waiting for the gauges to stabilize and then cranking, she starts nearly every time. Then I can leave it idling in the garage for sometime w/o any sign of fuel leakage. But, again, drive it to the store or something and the tank will be dripping upon return.

I was fired up at 6 a.m. to yank the tank, but I've decided to leave it to my neighborhood shop. The guy has a reputation for doing quality work at reasonable prices. 5 star ratings/reviews. Six months ago he swapped out my leaking tranny lines within a few hours and charged me less for parts than I could get them at autozone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel leak fixed. The steel fittings on the pump were rusted and leaking. He installed a new Delphi pump and filter (yes there was one) With labor I'm $500 lighter but at least I'm back on the road with 4WD this winter here in Michigan. I'm 30 miles east of the the big lake and we get a lot of lake effect here. So now I can put our '01 Sebring convertible back in storage (which was nigh on impossible driving in 6" deep snow covered icy roads this morning).

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
Fuel leak fixed. The steel fittings on the pump were rusted and leaking. He installed a new Delphi pump and filter (yes there was one) With labor I'm $500 lighter but at least I'm back on the road with 4WD this winter here in Michigan. I'm 30 miles east of the the big lake and we get a lot of lake effect here. So now I can put our '01 Sebring convertible back in storage (which was nigh on impossible driving in 6" deep snow covered icy roads this morning).
Good you got it fixed . Dang Michigan salt anyway .
We just bought our '04 Envoy from a place in Howard City . Fortunately , it seems to have been garage kept by its one previous owner . Hardly any sign of rust , unlike the rusted out Jeep we traded in on it .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably a previous Louisiana or Texas vehicle. Saw a lot of those when we went Traverse shopping in the Greenville area this past spring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good deal. I've had mine for 12 years now. 189k on the clock.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
Happy 2020 . :D

We picked this one up last August . After working a few bugs out , it's been a pleasure .
For a 16 year old rig , we're impressed . The odometer reads 195K , but to guess , you'd say a whole lot less .
Everything works . It is tight , quiet and clean . Can't ask for much more .
We had an '02 about 10 years ago and that was also a good ride . Just not as many bells as this '04 . ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah we love our LTZ. A/C doesn't work, there's a constant ABS light on and a foot long crack across the windshield but other than that she's been a good ride.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
Not that you really need AC in west Michigan , much , but , our AC wasn't working right when we first got the rig .
It had good charge and no leaks . Just the compressor wasn't doing it's job . I pulled the relay and used a jumper to manually activate the compressor , so I could see what was actually happening . The clutch would move very slightly , but not catch . The clutch clearance between outer face plate and magnet was at the outer limit .
Not wanting to replace anything , I pulled the clutch face ( a single bolt ) and found plenty of uneven spots where the magnet would contact . I filed that inner face as flat as I could , which wasn't enough to take up enough clearance , and pulled a shim out . That shim removal brought the clearance to the lower limit of spec .
Put it back together and what do you know , the AC hasn't skipped a beat since . ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A few years ago the pulley bearing started squealing. I pulled the pulley, replaced the bearing which fixed the noise. But I forgot a shim or two. So when the clutch engaged it had a horrible grinding noise. Not really needing a/c at the time I pulled the fuse and the relay. I suppose I should fix that someday. But, I documented the bearing change with pictures somewhere in these forums.

But retired now, I'm finding less desire to work on things. I was wanting to do the fuel pump swap myself but with winter and Christmas here, etc. , the wife talked me out of it.

As for the a/c, I have a vacuum pump, gage set, etc. I'll have to see how my health is, etc. come spring before I decide to try to fix that. Do you know where I can get shims?

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
Ha . Desire and doing seem to be getting farther apart for me too . ;)
Shims ... Maybe NAPA or an OEM dealer ? I recall an Ace hardware in north-central Illinois that had a nice selection , but ???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha . Desire and doing seem to be getting farther apart for me too . ;)
Shims ... Maybe NAPA or an OEM dealer ? I recall an Ace hardware in north-central Illinois that had a nice selection , but ???
Shim washers. If I recall about 7/8" dia. w/1/2" hole in the center. Quite thin of varying thickness. Yes I'll have to see what my local hardware has.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
Yup . If I recall correctly , The shim I pulled from our AC clutch was .023" .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts