Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, have read alot of info here got a decent problem so now I'm a member. I have a clicking noise coming from rear of truck. Decided it would be a good time to drain the rear differential. Loosened the bottom drain plug and figured the side fill plug would come out just as easy. Wrong! I've tried everything to get it loose and got no where. So I'm parked at a stand still, with no gear fluid untill I figure out how to get that plug out. Any ideas? Used liquid wrench impact and got nothing.:suicide:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha yea I thought about it but the drain just rolled out so good I just went ahead and drained it. I didnt image the fill would be the seized one. I just liquid wrenched it and hit it with an impact again and still got no where. So any ideas to get it out?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat .You could try to JB Weld an extension to the fill plug hole. You could also try filling the diff through the breather tube. Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
604 Posts
Spray it again, leave it overnight and try again.

Is the impact on reverse, are u sure its the right bolt? gotta ask

The torque spec on the rear diff fill/drain plugs is 35 ft-lbs.

I would say that is about hand tight at the best.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sometimes liquid wrench takes days to penetrate. Sometimes a bit of torch on the plug will loosen up the grime that's holding it tight. And you could always remove the rear axle (a couple of hours unless something else is corroded into place), rotate the cover upwards, and fill it that way. Maybe leave the axle in place, freeze the diff oil into cubes with dry ice, pack two quarts worth of them in behind the cover, and bolt it on before they melt?

The vent tube trick is a GREAT IDEA!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea it's on reverse and yes I'm on the right one, good starting questions. I didnt figure it should be in there that tight. The drain plug I got out by hand. I just hit it with impact for about a minute and got nothing. I'm to the point now where I'm almost afraid to trash plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha freeze into cubes... I'm not sure where the breather is on there. I think I got a little propane in a torch out there was just a little sketchy on the gas tank being right on the other side.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
A 3/8" drive battery impact will not get that out. If you haven't rounded it off yet, you just need to get a ratched with a long handle or use a cheater bar. Make sure it's all the way in there or you will round it off.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I agree about *most* battery impacts being toys, but there are good ones.

Anyway, the breather tube is rather bloody obvious. It's a tube. It's flexible, and it has to be hooked up to the diff above the oil line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a half inch impact. i got a half to 3/8 on it. I am convinced its not coming out, so i may try to get it in through the breather. theres not a whole lot of room under there tho thats for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I tried almost everyones response. The plug ended up getting rounded so I guess next time I will just have to weld something in there to get it out. I ended up dropping the spare tire and popped off the end of the breather tube. The lucas oil bottles have like a nipple on the end and I shoved it in there and just squeezed at an angle. After I felt the line was full I would stay squeezed and stand it up to blow air and push it through the line. Worked... but also took about 20 minutes. Nothing like making a 10 minute job a 2 hour job. Thanks for the help.:hail:

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
Once again everyone...Always remove the fill plug first. Also PB Blaster works much better than Liquid Wrench IMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts