Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! My 03 Envoy just died on me today :( . I was at work and went out to my car to get some air conditioning for a few minutes (I work in a food truck and the A/C was broken so it was getting up to 100 Degrees inside) I started it and it ran for about a second and then died. I wasn't really paying attention but I didn't recall hearing any strange noises. I turned off the key and tried starting it again. absolutely nothing happened within the engine, no clicking, no turning, no cranking, anything. The starter wasn't engaging, and nothing would happen. All of the electronics were functioning per normal, radio worked, lights worked. The only things that didn't work were the fuel guage and the gear selector. The key came out like normal, and the battery was still charged. I looked around online and seen that others had encountered a similar issue and they fixed it with a new Ignition Switch, so I went out and bought one and installed it. This didn't work. I checked the starter relay and it wasn't clicking or making any kind of noise so I thought that it might be dead, I went and bought one of those, and it didn't fix it. finally, we shorted the connection between the soleniod and the starter and the starter worked just fine. But, the engine didn't turn over at all. Even with the car in park. I really don't know what it could be that was causing my issue, the car had ran normal up until then except for a couple stalling incidents that had caused the vehicle to die when I stopped. I really don't know where to go from here. Also, when we activated the starter, it spun the flex plate so the punch was working. Do you guys have any ideas as to what has gone wrong? I would really appreciate it! I ended up having the car towed to FireStone but I really don't want to deal with their over-pricedness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
autoblog.com/2016/01/08/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-neutral-safety-switch

3. Engine does not crank at all, regardless of the transmission gear

If the engine will not crank at all, it's typical of a neutral safety switch that is experiencing electrical issues. In this case, no power is flowing through the neutral safety switch to the starter relay. This prevents the starter motor from cranking the engine. This symptom indicates a completely open electrical circuit inside the neutral safety switch which may be due to a faulty relay, blown fuse, or electrical problem with the switch itself. If the issue is with the switch, it will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
198 Posts
Don't be a parts changer. Do some simple diagnosis. Start here:

1) In the underhood fuse block, check:
- Fuse 34 - "IGN A" for battery voltage on both sides of the fuse.
- Fuse 22 - "IGN E" for battery voltage on both sides of the fuse with key in RUN position.

If all OK, place gear selector in NEUTRAL and attempt to crank vehicle. Does vehicle crank?

Reply with your findings and we can go further.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Similar thing happened to me two years ago to my '08 Trailblazer.

I was on the road, stopped at a stoplight, and the engine just died. Radio worked. Wipers worked. AC blower worked. Engine would not crank. After a few minutes of being serenaded by blowing horns, it finally did crank. I turned around and headed towards home when it happened a second time - this time I was moving. Again after a few minutes it did start up again.

Repair shop tried repeatedly to get the truck to repeat the problem, and finally it did. It was an electronic control module that was going bad - something like a lift gate control module that controls engine functions.

$880 to fix - with a fair amount of the cost tied to programing the new module.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
198 Posts
For that price, I would suspect the power or the body control modules.

The LGM only monitors the rear glass and gate and acts as the receiver for the signal from keyfobs to lock/unlock doors. No programming required.

Although... a failing module could drag down the Class 2 bus and prevent everyone else on the bus from communicating... :undecided

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
For that price, I would suspect the power or the body control modules.

The LGM only monitors the rear glass and gate and acts as the receiver for the signal from keyfobs to lock/unlock doors. No programming required.

Although... a failing module could drag down the Class 2 bus and prevent everyone else on the bus from communicating... :undecided
I was trying to say the failed part was a type of power control module, as the LCM is also a type of power control module. I've had an LCM go bad too. Fine one second. Dead the next.

Din't mean to imply that my failure was tied to an LCM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts