Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I bought my '03 Envoy SLE 4.2 I6 a few months ago and drove it over 1000 miles until one day it stalled on the road. It would start back up but then stall right away after 1 or 2 seconds. Of course CEL and no codes.

The things I've looked at or done so far:
Checked all fuses (both boxes)
Checked to make sure the fuel pump is turning on and it is (not sure on sustaining pressure though)
New gas cap
New air filter
New ignition switch
Cleaned throttle body
Supposedly went through the process of clearing passlock just in case (since the security light wasn't flashing)
Oil level is pretty high. Above Full. Though valvoline did say they put 7 quarts in.

The truck starts up like normal only to turn off a couple of seconds later. There is no reaction to touching the gas pedal either. I wish there were codes so I'm not shooting in the dark.

Any ideas?

I have searched on the forums and everywhere else about possible solutions at start-up.
I guess it could be a sensor that is completely out...the MAP, Camshaft, crankshaft?
Clean/replace crankshaft actuator solenoid?
Oil pressure switch?
Oil pump?
Fuel pressure regulator?
Override the PCM at a shop?

As this is my first post I appreciate any feedback before I take it in to a shop. If there is a way to upload a video, I would. It may help to see and hear it.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
88 Posts
There is a special cleaner for mass airflow sensors. $7 a can at autozone. Try using that first to clean it. We'll go from there if it continues having issues.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
You very well my have a problem with your first o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. Its been discussed many times in this forum and it does not throw a code and will run rough/stall until it's warmed up. Search google with site:trailvoy.com and you should find the thread. I would replace that o2 sensor and see if it improves.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Stalling Problem

I had a random stalling problem with my '03 4.2L also. It would happen as infrequently as once a month or so. At first it would stall and then immediately restart. Usually it would happen when coming to a firm stop. No CEL or codes stored. Then one day it happened and when it restarted there was no response from throttle pedal, half or full throttle made no difference. It just went from idle speed slower and slower until the DIC said "Low oil pressure shut off engine (400-350rpm when that message displayed).Also had a strong smell of raw fuel. I turned the ignition switch off and waited 30 seconds (GREAT, sitting in the middle of an intersection!).Cranked and restarted, throttle response was back and when engine cleared itself there was no fuel smell whatsoever. Truck ran perfect the rest of the drive home.
I told a friend of mine who is a GM Technician with 30+ years experience about it and he suggested I replace the camshaft position sensor, said a bad one can cause all kinds of strange operating symptoms. I replaced it the next day with a new AC Delco sensor (Super easy, one bolt and connector located right in the front of the cylinder head),That was 4 mo. ago, no problem since...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the responses! I feel like I've seen tons of similar symptoms but not exactly like the one I'm having. It doesn't run for any amount of time. I just posted a video on youtube that may help a little bit..???

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
88 Posts
THe problem is that it's a GM product. I know I know, we all love our trucks. But the cold hard truth is that GM has been notorious for obtaining the most terrible quality parts from the lowest bidder. Honestly, anything that could cause a no-start or something similar, has failed before. There is no good shotgun part to go after. ECU's are terrible. Sensors of all types are terrible. The wiring is sometimes routed in a way that causes problems from abrasion, corrosion, heat damage.... even the programming is terrible! I have sent many to the dealer to update their ECU's because the programmers aren't as smart about parameters in the programming.

GM quality hasn't been the same since the 80's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts