Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok to start this is my first post on any forum ever so forgive me if im doing things wrong...i read trailvoy all the time tho you guys are great thanks for all the help in the past...but to no avail i cannot find anything or anyone with my similar problem.

one morning we got into our envoy(2003 xl slt 5.3 v8) and after turning out of the driveway both tires turned away from each other almost like being toed out going in opposite directions limped it home and tried to adjust tie rods to get it back straight again. tried driving again (slow and in the next door church parking lot) was fine then tried to turn right sharply and then drivers tire toed out and passenger stayed straight. re aligned again basically goin back in the direction i just took it out from. backed it out of the garage and both tires toed out again as they did the first time after about 2 feet. Jacked up one side and i could turn the lifted tire freely from the other which didnt move but steering wheel bounced back and forth like crazy. Uncle said rack was shot which made sense to me.

Replaced rack with a good used one did ball joints, upper control arms at the same time took it in for an aligment and was all good for about a week.

driving to work my jeep broke down and wife was on her way to rescue poor old me. shes call about half way to me and says she hit a bump going about 55mph and the wheel went crazy and the tires were pointed out again.:bonk:

now it drives straight just fine but when breaking hard right before it comes to a stop wheels toe out away from each other and wheel jerks around as it happens....pop it into reverse and it straightens itself out and drives fine except the wheel is in a different place each time and the tires are getting chewed up bad(we only drive it very short distances when need be while we saved up for more parts)...brand new rack and pinion just came in this morning and plan to start it tonight after work and im also doing the sway bar bushings and links then another alignment and more tires...

My question is has anybody ever heard of this before and is it something else that is causing the rack to go bad...im hoping that the used rack i got was bad as well and this will be the end of this nightmare...because i will drive it into a lake if not..lol...not really..oh and no neither rack leaked at all and pump seems fine..thinking about flushing the system out while i have it torn apart too

again sorry if this is done wrong and thanks to anyone who can help

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
Cannot imagine anything but the rack, as being the culprit.

Cannot imagine EVER installing a part as important as the rack, with a used part that is labeled as "good". How did someone determine this used part was GOOD ?

Betting your problems will cease, when you brand new rack is installed.

FYI, also be careful of any "reconditioned" racks that are out there, as well.

A poster on another site spoke of his experience with his recon rack, and the leaks that came with that "recon rack".

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used rack came from a mechanic i trust (which there are only a few since i do most work myself)off a 03 tb with really low miles that he actually purchased for parts, it was clean and the boots werent torn and no visible leaks...******* blue collar do what i gotta do in a pinch..but i I understand where you're coming from...learn my lesson

thanks for the info I'm just hoping to find a few more people who feel the same as you and I and then I make me feel better about the whole job

·
Registered
672 Posts
Used rack came from a mechanic i trust (which there are only a few since i do most work myself)off a 03 tb with really low miles that he actually purchased for parts, it was clean and the boots werent torn and no visible leaks...******* blue collar do what i gotta do in a pinch..but i I understand where you're coming from...learn my lesson

thanks for the info I'm just hoping to find a few more people who feel the same as you and I and then I make me feel better about the whole job
3 things are very important, for any vehicle.

1. It must start.
2. It must steer.
3. It must stop.

To repair any of these three categories, I try to use the best I can buy.

My "used steering parts" comments to you were directed, as a concern for your safety and the safety of those who ride with you.

Not being critical of you, just concerned for the safety of you and those surrounding you.

Best of luck with the repairs. We're out here, should the questions arise.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 things are very important, for any vehicle.

1. It must start.
2. It must steer.
3. It must stop.

To repair any of these three categories, I try to use the best I can buy.

My "used steering parts" comments to you were directed, as a concern for your safety and the safety of those who ride with you.

Not being critical of you, just concerned for the safety of you and those surrounding you.

Best of luck with the repairs. We're out here, should the questions arise.:thumbsup:
oh yeah i understand thanks sorry if i came off defensive...ill keep the thread going till its done and seems ok (fingers crossed) maybe this will help someone else in the future. Got new sway bushings in today and hopefully the links will be here friday. steering column is out its jacked up and the tires off with new ones mounted on the rims today and plan to get under it tonight to start the real fun

·
Registered
672 Posts
oh yeah i understand thanks sorry if i came off defensive...ill keep the thread going till its done and seems ok (fingers crossed) maybe this will help someone else in the future. Got new sway bushings in today and hopefully the links will be here friday. steering column is out its jacked up and the tires off with new ones mounted on the rims today and plan to get under it tonight to start the real fun
No harm, no foul .... keep us posted on the steering progress.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i didnt get back to this until this past sunday on my day off. (im a chef by trade and the weekend was brutal) was rippin right through it and had it the rest of the way torn apart in about an hour. started putting it back together...started with just putting the mounting bolts through to hold it up and attached lines...but the head to the bolt for the lines bracket snapped off and i had to remove rack again to spin the rest of the bolt back out. took about an hour with a chisel and small hammer until enough was out too grind a notch into it and turn out with a flathead screwdriver. and well it was sunday so i had to wait till the next day to get a replacement bolt...so i did what i could and got sway bar bushing and linkages swapped out easily enough. then after getting it back together i couldnt get the lines to seal up not realizing the new rack didnt come with seals but the old ones were still in good shape and came out easy enough without damaging them.

finished it up before and after work the last couple days and an alignment this morning in which the tech said it was perfect and he re-greased all the components that need it.

anyway test drive... stops hard no problem, sharp turns no problem in both directions (went to church parking lot nextdoor and cranked wheel all the way for both sides damn near doing a donut in three rotations), rides smooth and straight and is very responsive...the shake i had is gone too which im assuming was the bad tires cuz one had a big ol bump on the inside.

ill mark as solved in a couple weeks if all is still well, thanks robert gee

·
Registered
672 Posts
so i didnt get back to this until this past sunday on my day off. (im a chef by trade and the weekend was brutal) was rippin right through it and had it the rest of the way torn apart in about an hour. started putting it back together...started with just putting the mounting bolts through to hold it up and attached lines...but the head to the bolt for the lines bracket snapped off and i had to remove rack again to spin the rest of the bolt back out. took about an hour with a chisel and small hammer until enough was out too grind a notch into it and turn out with a flathead screwdriver. and well it was sunday so i had to wait till the next day to get a replacement bolt...so i did what i could and got sway bar bushing and linkages swapped out easily enough. then after getting it back together i couldnt get the lines to seal up not realizing the new rack didnt come with seals but the old ones were still in good shape and came out easy enough without damaging them.

finished it up before and after work the last couple days and an alignment this morning in which the tech said it was perfect and he re-greased all the components that need it.

anyway test drive... stops hard no problem, sharp turns no problem in both directions (went to church parking lot nextdoor and cranked wheel all the way for both sides damn near doing a donut in three rotations), rides smooth and straight and is very responsive...the shake i had is gone too which im assuming was the bad tires cuz one had a big ol bump on the inside.

ill mark as solved in a couple weeks if all is still well, thanks robert gee
So good to read your good news, glad it all worked for you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
20 Posts
On my 02 TB the power steering lines went bad because of the salt on the roads. Mechanic puts new lines in, calls me up, says, "Hey your rack and pinion is so bad you could have wrecked driving over here", obviously I get a new rack put on.

Two days later, doing group project for class and my TB leaves us stranded because it leaks all the power steering fluid on the ground. My awesome mom brings up a GALLON. Take group to college, drive home, breaks down in drive way sideways, tow truck takes it back to mechanic. Bad seals, fixes them free.

One week later, driving to work, sweet got a turbo from the turbo fairy, no, power steering pump whining. rack seals bad again. Mechanic fixes them and charges me.

·
Registered
672 Posts
On my 02 TB the power steering lines went bad because of the salt on the roads. Mechanic puts new lines in, calls me up, says, "Hey your rack and pinion is so bad you could have wrecked driving over here", obviously I get a new rack put on.

Two days later, doing group project for class and my TB leaves us stranded because it leaks all the power steering fluid on the ground. My awesome mom brings up a GALLON. Take group to college, drive home, breaks down in drive way sideways, tow truck takes it back to mechanic. Bad seals, fixes them free.

One week later, driving to work, sweet got a turbo from the turbo fairy, no, power steering pump whining. rack seals bad again. Mechanic fixes them and charges me.
And the mechanic charged you this time for what reasons ?

·
Registered
non_gmt360 trailblazer_lt_ext
241 Posts
bout time to find a new mechanic.. or do it yourself.. plenty of info over on the other site.. :)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
20 Posts
And the mechanic charged you this time for what reasons ?
bout time to find a new mechanic.. or do it yourself.. plenty of info over on the other site.. :)
Sorry, forgot I had transmission work done at the same time as the second set of seals. He didn't charge me for the seals. He drained all the fluid out (not a flush) using his own pump I think. Replaced some gaskets, and put in new fluid for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts