Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '03 Envoy XL SLT V6 4x2............Can't find any similar posts w/ the front blower being out....I've checked the relay and fuses and alls well there. I'm on to the blower motor module now but I am having a problem getting the connector out that goes into the actual blower fan. Any ideas on how to remove this particular piece w/out breaking it? There is an orange plastic type clip on the outside of the connector but not sure if it has anything to do with removing it but I'm out ideas. I've pulled on the connector every which way but breaking it and can't get it out. Once I remove this I'll be able to replace with the blower module from Autozone for $35. If that's not it then it's onto the fan itself but with the symptoms of having had it working intermittently for the past couple months before totally going out as well as having the fan stay on after turning vehicle off I'm pretty sure this should correct the problem. However, any help on getting it out or other remedies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Welcome!

GM connector designers are an evil bunch, but they do figure out how to keep the connectors retained in the environment of decades of vibration. I don't remember this exact item, but in general, they use two methods of keeping the connectors in.

A weatherpack connector like this has clip ears on the sides, and you have to pry them with a tiny screwdriver or strong fingernail to unlatch them from the mating side. Yes, it's sometimes frustrating to get both unlatched at once.

One like this has a ramped latch facing in, and again, the tiny flatbladed screwdriver is necessary, or figuring out where to poke a needle.

Here's a more obvious kind of external latch to press on.

In your case, the orange clip is often a distraction. It's NOT the main retention mechanism, but a secondary way they use to make sure the connector pins stay in the housing. You can always figure out a way to take it off, but mostly it doesn't let you get the connector apart. :confused:

So sorry I couldn't give you the magic solution, but with a little tool and sometimes a magnifying glass and flashlilght, you can poke about and figure it out. Many connectors I got out, and had no idea what I had poked at until I got to examine it closely later. And many others I just had to break the latch and they always work well afterwards - they might vibrate loose in ten years, but what the heck. :D

Good luck, and we would LOVE to get some good in focus (!) macro pics after you get it apart, to help others later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts