Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer LS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This TB has been giving me a run for my money.

I have the 02 TB LS, 5.2 I6. Was running decent enough despite having an evap code I haven't handled yet, until this morning. *note, it has been VERY loud upon starting over the course of the last week or so- still undiagnosed as well.

Noticed when I started the engine that it was at 210 (hadn't been driven since yesterday). I thought not much of it because we are enduring a major heatwave again. I get maybe a mile down the road, and I notice my temp gauge climbed to near the red. I immediately pull over. Engine shows no signs of overheating, but I didn't want to risk it as I just had this engine replaced (original decided to blow a rod on its first attempt at coming home).

My boyfriend/mechanic brought me coolant and ended up driving me to work so he could look at what's going on. Our first thought was maybe the thermostat, so he's replaced that.

What I'm trying to figure out more than anything. Why is my engine still hot (reading at 210+) HOURS after it last ran? We topped off the coolant. Replaced the thermostat, I don't have a/c so I don't think I overloaded anything. We are scratching our heads. Any ideas on why my engine is retaining SO MUCH heat?
Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Plant Steering part
picture from earlier today. (Typically runs at or below the 210 mark).

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,153 Posts
I have the 02 TB LS, 5.2 I6.
No you don't ... check your notes.

Noticed when I started the engine that it was at 210 (hadn't been driven since yesterday). I thought not much of it because we are enduring a major heatwave again.
Living in the theological establishment of eternal punishment must be interesting.

My boyfriend/mechanic brought me coolant..........
Has it been leaking? You cannot put more coolant in a system that doesn't actually NEED it ... ya know?

What I'm trying to figure out more than anything.
Huh?

Why is my engine still hot (reading at 210+) HOURS after it last ran? We topped off the coolant. Replaced the thermostat, I don't have a/c so I don't think I overloaded anything. We are scratching our heads. Any ideas on why my engine is retaining SO MUCH heat?
Ask your boyfriend/mechanic to actually put his hand on the engine tomorrow morning and feel if it's REALLY that hot.
My money's on ---> it'll be the same as whatever the AMBIENT temperature is ...... where you live .... wherever THAT is ...........​
............ then have your boyfriend/mechanic to test the gauge/stepper motor (this is my best guess here) and the sending unit.

Either the gauge or the sending unit is lying to you --- there's NO WAY to hold that heat overnight, let alone for a few hours.

.......... unless, of course, you live on the sun or in Hell ... or Phoenix.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer LS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you don't ... check your notes.

Living in the theological establishment of eternal punishment must be interesting.

Has it been leaking? You cannot put more coolant in a system that doesn't actually NEED it ... ya know?

Huh?

Ask your boyfriend/mechanic to actually put his hand on the engine tomorrow morning and feel if it's REALLY that hot.
My money's on ---> it'll be the same as whatever the AMBIENT temperature is ...... where you live .... wherever THAT is ...........​
............ then have your boyfriend/mechanic to test the gauge/stepper motor (this is my best guess here) and the sending unit.

Either the gauge or the sending unit is lying to you --- there's NO WAY to hold that heat overnight, let alone for a few hours.

.......... unless, of course, you live on the sun or in Hell ... or Phoenix.
I meant the 4.2, damn cell phone does what it wants sometimes and I wrote this too fast to notice I miswrote that. The temp gauge is showing hot but it's as you said the ambient temp to outside (which is a swampy 90F currently). I'm believing it could be the sending unit as well. That will be the next part to be replaced and I will update with results.

It has been leaking something, couldn't quite tell if it was oil or coolant. But I did have an empty reservoir so, time to take out some cardboard to park over and see what colors I can find.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,153 Posts
Harbor Freight is your friend for this: buy a non contact temperature gun and check the temperature of the upper and lower hoses. You'll know right away whether it's really running hot.
You obviously have small concept of the radiator and coolant flow characteristics on the Atlas engines.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
61 Posts
You obviously have small concept of the radiator and coolant flow characteristics on the Atlas engines.
So measuring the temperature of the top and bottom hoses won't give someone a clue whether they are dealing with a thermostat, sender, or possibly a pump issue?
Condescension seems to be your superpower...

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,153 Posts
So measuring the temperature of the top and bottom hoses won't give someone a clue whether they are dealing with a thermostat, sender, or possibly a pump issue?
Condescension seems to be your superpower...
You're right, even when you're wrong.

The "right" part first .....

YES ---- your statement is accurate: "measuring the temperature of the top and bottom hoses won't give someone a clue" is 100% correct, in that this cooling system defies that kinda logic which might've worked on any other engine ... unless it's air-cooled.
... and ......​
YES, you're wrong if you use that metric to absolve or crucify other parts and sensors of their individual culpability.

SIDEBAR ----> when have you EVER seen a cooling pump, fail to actually PUMP COOLANT ... and I don't mean just leaking, seeping, or making noises?

I can count on three fingers the number of times a pump actually failed to pump --- I mean if the belts and hoses all met their minor performance criteria ....

Once a Ford Pinto had the impellor fall off the shaft --- so, that's a 'time' ..... and a fairly modern Cadillac with the 3.8-Mk III - had the impellor blades eaten off from cavitation ..... and the last time saw a socket (yes, a socket --- not mine!) get tangled up in- and destroyed the impellor and housing on a Detroit 350.​

I may have to re-start ignoring you all over again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts