Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Traiblazer LT with 167k miles on it. Over the course of owning it I have had no major problems with it. I got an oil change 3 months ago and forgot to check the oil over the past few weeks since i had a slew of issues going on in my life. Saturday it when i started it and started driving it, the service engine soon light came on and it was sputtering at a low speed. I was told to bring it right in but my mom got sick. The light ended up going off and I had no further problems. Sunday when driving suddenly my dash lit up like christmas morning.
service engine soon
check gauges
low oil pressure and stop engine.

It was knocking LOUD so i pulled off. turned out there was no oil on the dipstick. I ended up putting a few quarts in and drove it 3 miles to the shop.

Today i got the dreaded phone call that the motor is pretty much shot.
His suggestion is to sell the truck for parts and find another ride.

Any suggestions? Is it worth putting a new motor in it? The other issue with the truck is that the 4 wheel drive is blown on it as well (this was from a few years ago)..other than that the truck is immaculate. If i didnt put a motor in it, what can i get for it with a blown motor?
Ive never had to deal with anything like this so its frustating!!!
I appreciate anyones help in advance. :eek:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,736 Posts
If it's 4WD, I'll give you $1000 for it, and even come get it... :D (ETA: even with non-working 4WD, I'll give you a grand for it :D )

Really, though... get an engine from a junkyard TB and have it put in... They can be had for $600-700 all day long, and you probably know somebody who will do it for $3-400, or a shop will do it for $600, I'd guess... I've never paid anybody to do anything other than alignment and changing tires, so I don't know, but I'd hope an R&R with a direct-swap engine would be less than $750...

ETA: www.car-part.com and you can search for parts at junkyards in your area...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems, but I'm sure you're kicking yourself enough by now.

Ebay and the junkyards have plenty of engines from $500 and up. Remnufactured and guaranteed ones seem to be around $1500. And your mechanics time to install it. Your mechanic didn't even want to check junkyards for you and quote a replacement?

Check Ebay also for the prices of ones with blown engines.

Depending on what your own time is worth, you might part it out on Ebay if you can do the disassembly and shipping of your nice interior pieces.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers...
I am going to try to find a used motor or just sell it as is. I just didnt know what i would be looking at price wise for a motor or what i should expect to get for it if i was to sell it as is. I am glad i can get some good answers on this board!

·
3,736 Posts
Thanks for the answers...
I am going to try to find a used motor or just sell it as is. I just didnt know what i would be looking at price wise for a motor or what i should expect to get for it if i was to sell it as is. I am glad i can get some good answers on this board!
Well, while the $1000 offer stands, and my post above gives a ballpark for fixing the engine issue, you can generally figure kbb private party value in 'good' shape, minus what a shop would charge to fix what's wrong with it...

$5100 (assuming an LS trim model) minus $1500-2500 for the engine, minus whatever a shop would charge to fix the 4wd, which could be anywhere between $50 and $1500, depending on what's wrong...

... Or at least that's what I figure when buying something... If you can get more, go for it...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
go on ebay and type in 2002 Trailblazer engine-
you will see alot of low mileage engines. ( I just saw one with 57,000).

·
3,736 Posts
Sounds like a PERFECT candidate vehicle for a straight axle install.

Send it my way. We'll slide in a 350 and play around with the suspension some... :woot:
Actually, that's what I was thinking... I'm looking for something that I can get for the $1000 range (with a straight frame, and reasonably straight body), and do a SAS with it...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,248 Posts
Actually, that's what I was thinking... I'm looking for something that I can get for the $1000 range (with a straight frame, and reasonably straight body), and do a SAS with it...

Mike
I'd love to help you figure out the geometry. I'm itching to see that sort of project work. THAT will be an off-road Trailblazer worthy of its namesake.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3 Posts
2001 Tralblazer LTZ Blown Engine...

I bought a brand new LTZ made in 2001 and was told there was a problem with the cylinders so if the engine failed before 100000 miles, GM would replace it free. The newer ones came with cylinder sleeves to prevent the engine from breaking down (which mine did not have). The SUV was maintained imeccably with regular service done before the suggested time. As it turned 103,000 miles, the engine blew while accelerating on the freeway; could see a hole through the entire block! The GM warranty wasn't honored as I was over the allotted miles dispite being well cared for. Knowing the SUV was in great shape, I opted for a new motor as it was less costly than chancing getting a new vehicle. It cost $8,000 but got a rebuilt motor from an '05 Trailblazer which was much less than the cost of a new car. I now have 135,000 miles on it an all seems to be working well (except for the door returns which are clicking and will be the next repair along with front struts and rear springs). This will hopefully last me another 10 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.