Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Listers:

The thread on here that described replacement of low beam headlight was right on target, and the photos helped tremendously. NO NEED TO REMOVE THE GRILL! It's tight to get your hand in there, but it can be done, and it's much better than removing the grill, especially in cold weather when plastic tends to break!

Steve M.
02 TrBlzr

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new reader of this forum although I'm the original owner of a 2002 Trailblazer. I have a question about Headlamp replacement. The thread and photos for replacement http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=8are are indeed very helpful, but I could still use some additional advice.

I was able to pop off the grill far easier than I had thought would be the case. I was also able to easily lift one of the two tabs holding the headlights, but the second tab tucked down into the corner panel was difficult to reach and not easily pryed free, but finally gave way after some muttering and bruised knuckles.

My remaining question though may be obvious to many but not to me. There are still two sets of wires that I have been unable to pull free, one up high for the side marker lamps, and a second lower one I believe for the turn signal.

I am unclear how to release those two sets of wires. Do they twist off, pull straight off, or how are they held in place? Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
The upper corner turn signal can be removed 2 ways...either twist and remove, or unclip and pull out (there's a plastic tab that you have to lift...that's what I do).

The lower turn signal is a simple twist and remove...very easy.

BTW, that lift clip in the corner that holds the headlight assembly in place....don't use your hand, use a long flat bladed screwdriver to lift it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply. I couldn't figure out how to unclip the turn signal wire (http://www.trailvoy.com/images/articles/796-headlight/06a.jpg) as you had suggested doing, but I finally figured out that I could simply grasp it with pliers and pull it free.

It wasn't a true "twist" motion to loosen, but more of a rocking back and forth to wriggle free and it pulled straight out, when I was thinking it would be a twist-and-lock in place, something more like the headlamps themselves.

Even with a flathead screwdriver, the clip holding the headlight assembly in place that is somewhat hidden under the quarter panel http://www.trailvoy.com/images/articles/796-headlight/05.jpg is a trick to raise, since there is no good leverage point to use and you can't reach it from underneath to apply upward pressure. There is about an 1/8 inch wide surface that that clip rests on. After several failed attempts to raise the clip by hand or with a screwdriver with no leverage, it occurred to me that by inserting the blade under the clip and the surface it rested on, I could twist the screwdriver, and raise the clip about 1/4 of an inch.

That was just enough clearance and movement for me to use pliers to grab it and raise it the rest of the way, finally releasing the assembly. Upon the suggestion of my auto parts store, I thought I would replace both sides even though only one lamp was burned out. Replacing the lamps themselves was easy once the headlight assemblies were freed.

In any event, I sincerely appreciate the responsiveness and usefulness of your reply! Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low Beam Headlight replacement

I just read your post, and it looks like you got the job done without too much trouble. I did find it interesting though, that several responders suggested removing the entire grill, when it was much easier to just raise two clips, and fold the headlight out and downward.

Steve M.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
Steve M---- you may have the latter Trailblazer with the newer headlights and grille...
the early TB had the chrome bar that ran across the entire grill and over the headlights. to remove the headlight assembly or even tip it at any angle. the grille has to come off to allow removal of the headlight assembly

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont know if this has been posted or not yet but...while i was changing my low beam bulb on my 03 trailblazer I somehow managed to get little plug that plugs into the bulb into a little hole and I cant seem to fish it out now.

So my question is how would remove the whole headlight(driver side) housing cause at this point that seems like the only way i'll be able to get the plug out so i can plug it into the bulb.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the headlight bulb replacement instructions. Changed the bulb in about 15 minutes. Saved my wife a trip to Chevy and a large bill from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
02 Trail Blazer (older version) Headlight replacement

After much aggravation trying to remove the grill without breaking it, I decided to check the net and found this forum. Half hour later I had replaced both low beams WITHOUT REMOVING THE GRILL. Thanks for the help. Just to add some hints: the older 02 is not as easy as the 03, the headlight assemblies do not tilt out, they are connected to the chrome strip. Recommend removing the top plastic cover (2 screws + 3 plastic clips), air cleaner cover (3 screws), and air filter, to get easier access (two hands) to the passenger side high and low beams. Pry off round rubber covers (easy), twist light quarter turn and pull out. Release clip on connecter and pull off (two hands). Replace bulb without touching the glass, or bulb will fail quickly. For driver side, remove battery cover retaining bar (2 screws, one nut), then battery leads (neg first), battery cover, battery retaining clip (one nut), and battery. This allows easy two hand access to both high and low beams.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Head light replacement, 02 TB

Looks like we've solved this problem form most, and identified the extra steps necessary when working on the 02 vs the 03.

Ready to delete the TB from my inventory, and am now looking at a
Lexus GS350. Just dont' do the traveling/hauling much anymore, for which the TB was great; sat up nice and high, stabile, with good visibility of the road.

Thought I'd go used, 07-08, but Lexus is making it awfully easy to get into a 2009 for $5 - $6K more, and have the new, and extra year(s) warranty.

Steve M.
02 TB, 50K

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve M;756479]Looks like we've solved this problem form most, and identified the extra steps necessary when working on the 02 vs the 03.

Ready to delete the TB from my inventory, and am now looking at a
Lexus GS350. Just dont' do the traveling/hauling much anymore, for which the TB was great; sat up nice and high, stabile, with good visibility of the road.

Thought I'd go used, 07-08, but Lexus is making it awfully easy to get into a 2009 for $5 - $6K more, and have the new, and extra year(s) warranty.

Steve M.
02 TB, 50K

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 driveside low beam replacement

Just replaced low beam headlight bulb on my 04 trailblazer in 5 minutes. Agree, no need to take off grill. Just pop off the rubber backing on light, turn the wire bracket counter clockwise a quarter turn (frees the bulb bracket), pull bulb while lifting the side plastic clip which prevents bulb from coming loose and replace the bulb. Then perform steps above in reverse.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
It's true - no need to remove the grill

I actually have very large hands and was able to replace the headlight bulb on the drivers side. There is a tight squeeze when tryng to disconnect the bulb but other than that it is a quick and easy process.

Carl V

1 - 13 of 13 Posts