Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 TB LTZ with the combo CD/Cassette head unit. When I first purchased the truck, it had the 6 CD changer, but I wanted the cassette head unit so the dealer swapped it out. I think it may have been the Bose system because my speakers sounds much better (actually, pretty good for Bose) than other TB's I've heard.

I've decided to hold onto the truck another couple years and want to swap out the head unit with something that can handle ipod control. I've seen that in order to keep the chimes, wheel controls, etc., it's actually a big project that I don't care to venture into. Quite frankly, it's not =that= important to me, but I would like the convenience.

Is it possible, however, to install a 2003 head unit into my 2002? If that's the case, then I can get an aftermarket ipod control and hook it up the back and call it a day. If not, I'm destined to use the cassette adapter until the time comes to get rid of my TB.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i believe you can, but you need to take it to the dealer so they can reprogram the headunit. there are some numbers inside the unit that needs to match up with the trucks computer to work. thats about $100 plus the ipod cable is another $130, and if you dont do it yourself another amount for install of the HU and cable. plus you still need to buy a headunit. after all is said and done you might be spending a pretty penny.

the adapter for door chimes and onstar isnt that hard, dont really know where you got that. its a control box that fits in-between the factory wires and the new unit.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned with the door chimes and as for OnStar, it hasn't worked in years. It went out on me years ago and about $2,500 later, it still doesn't work. Thankfully, that was under my extended warranty. Worthless.

I think I'd be more concerned with the wheel controls, but seeing how I'd end up having to pay the dealer $100 just to program the radio, plus the ipod controller, plus the wheel adapter, maybe I'll just keep using the cassette adapter until it's time for a new truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts