Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this problem has been going on for 2-3 years now and I really havent been able to find the cause and was hoping for some help or someone else who has ran into this problem. I tried using the search feature but didnt see anything definate or the same as what I have an ultimately there was never a fix posted to the threads I found.

Vehicle Info :

02 Trailblazer LS with NON-Bose cd player, no rear audio controls

Here is what happens..... All speakers will work just fine and out of the blue the passanger side front and rear door speakers quit at the exact same time. What I found interesting is that the right side dash speaker still works fine while this happens so all I get is highs coming from the right side. All of the drivers/left side speakers have always worked perfect, so this isnt an isolated "rear only" speakers not working problem that I have found in other threads, it is only the passanger front and rear door speakers that quit working. It may stay like this for a few hours, sometimes a few weeks, but they always both quit and come back at the exact same time and the dash speaker has always worked.

Looking at the GM speaker schematics it really doesnt make sense how this is possible so I figured the radio was probably at fault for whatever odd reason and finally had enough so I replaced the radio with an aftermarket one. I thought that took care of it... but a few days later back to the same old thing. I see conflicting information as to whether there IS or IS NOT an amplifier on the speakers or if everything runs straight from the radio, again this is a NON-Bose audio system with no rear audio control.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I have installed audio systems for years as well as dont a lot of custom electrical/electronic stuff and have never seen anything like this before. It hasnt exactly been a huge priority and I never have time to work on my own vehicles but it does get annoying and I would love to fix it! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
115 Posts
If you have speakers in the dash, you should have the Bose system and since it is an 02 you should have a Lux unit. Assuming this would be a Bose amplified system your amp will be in the rear of the vehicle.

Is there any event that happens that seems to trigger the speakers going out or coming back? (ie: hitting a bump in the road?) What adapter did you use when you installed the aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We bought our TB new and there was no option on the invoice for Bose nor are there any markings or badging inside the TB or on the radio so Im not sure what to make of it! I know the newer ones had the holes for the speakers but were not used. I used a standard adapter for the radio that I installed, Scoche I believe that has the chime module that is required for this vehicle. The radio made absolutely no difference but I was wondering about the amp myself and I always did think the stereo sound pretty good for stock. I will dig into the back compartment trim when I get a chance to see if there is an amp but it would baffle me as to why since it is a non-Bose system and is a pretty base model TB other than the upgrade level package that consists of Keyless entry, Leather wrapped steering wheel, and Tinted rear glass, otherwise there are really no options on the invoice sticker and I still have it to verify or look over again to see if there is something on it I dont know about lol. I have found no rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens. You can be sitting still at a stop light and it will act up or be driving down the road but it never really seemed to have any effect hitting bumps like it was a bad connection or something along those lines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

Ok I just went out to investigate this a little more and I was wrong about the front speakers, I do NOT have them and not sure why I thought I did other than from the drivers seat I can hear the tweeter still working in the right front door but never put my head to the actual speaker though I thought I once did a long time ago. So that solves that and I also pulled out the rear trim enough to feel up where the amp would be and it is just a void as it should be. What I always found odd with this problem is the fact that the passanger front door tweeter always has worked regardless the full range speaker not working-and again it is always both the front and rear doors that quit at the same time and come back on at the same time. Looking at the schematics the tweeter is paired directly with the full range speaker so it makes little sense how it works but both full range speakers do not work. I looked at some wiring schematic and routing diagrams and it looks like there is a connector under the carpet near the rear seating area (if I looked at it right!) so I felt around and where it felt like there was a connector on the carpet I tried to thump on them and it didnt help. I was hoping the carpet had a seem in the middle for access but it looks like the rear seat/jack stuff has to be unbolted to lift the carpet up. I may just pop the door panels off and check the speaker wire outputs to see what I have but it still is baffling that both speakers cut out at the same time and they are always clear when working.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
65 Posts
FYI my 02 TB has water in the doors and cause my speakers connectors to corrode and stop working. I changed speakers with cheap wal mart speakers and splice the wires instead of using the connector in the door and they are working great! Did this about 4 months ago with no problems at all. Might not be a fix to your specific problem but might somehow be linked to it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
im having the same problem with mines too did you ever figure what was wrong with it?
the same question :coffeei have 02 ext -non bose - non amp , i have replaced the 4 door speakers with an after market speakers but the the right speakers - front and rear - not working , but some times its working for a some hours .
the left speakers working fine .

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
could be a short, check all the wires for rubbing, bare wires. or a faulty headunit...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
39 Posts
I had changed out the headunit and it still does the same so the problem is probably from the wiring. Still tryin to figure it out!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
39 Posts
right side speakers

i had just fixed the problem for some odd reason it was the speakers that didnt work replaced the speakers and no more problems. but why would they work once in a while?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
29 Posts
I still am having this problem

I have this problem but it's my left speakers I would like to fix the problem soon had anyone figured out if it's the connector on the floor?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
I am having the same problem on the back left door speaker. I am going to change all the speakers and head unit when my taxes come in. I am hoping that fixes that problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts