Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2002 Trailblazer roof rack vibrates when greater than 40 mph and under 40 degrees. I've tightened up the nuts in front a few times and am considering adding locktite and maybe goop. Has anyone else experienced this? I can tell its the rack as when you pull on the exit/entry straps the noise changes. Of course when you let go it comes back.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Is it the rails bolted to the roof, or the cross bars that seem loose? Do you use your rack (often)? If not, you can take the crossbars off, if you haven't done so already. Many members do this to reduce wind noise.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002 Roof Rack Vibration

The vibration appears to be the front connection to the top of the SUV. If I move the front front rail back the noise is much worse. Its usually worse when its cold, and always a function of the wind.

Just added locktite and a lot of silicon caulk under the mounting point. Removed and lock tited the first two bolts, then added dabs of silicon caulk around the mount, leaving space so any water may flow out from underneath. Then added silicon to the cover too, just in case that was rattling. The exposed bolt had a lot of corrosion. Both bolts were snug, yet easy to break free.

I use my rack. Both the original rack and with thule bars depending upon the load. Its gotten my kid's stuff home from college many times. Now I'm hauling stuff to their houses:)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
Rack Vibration

Let us know how the loctite and silicon worked. I know I for one have just noticed the vibration issues and am curious to see if your solution has worked. Thanks -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts