Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought an 02 GMC Envoy only 3 months ago at 235,000km. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect, the entire time I've had it the belt has needed replacing (haven't had the time) because it squeaks but that seemed to be the only issue.

I'm now noticing that I have to top up my engine coolant once a week. The check engine light is on and is throwing an error code about the cooling fan (can't exactly recall what it is called).

About a week ago my car started stuttering when I released the brake, it then began stuttering constantly. I took it to my friend (apprentice mechanic) who said coil #5 was misfiring. He switched it with #4 and the check engine light showed a random misfire. When we drove my car, the check engine light would stay on until going past 50km an hour and then it would start flashing until I slowed below 50km. He said drive it to work for a couple of days and go back to him when the check engine light stays on.

That was on a Sunday, the following Saturday I filled up my tank and was driving home from work.. My engine still stuttering the same and check engine light flashing the same as before. I slowed down to turn left at an intersection when I noticed my car just went silent, the engine just shut off. It wouldn't start back up, I couldn't move. A couple of people helped push my car into a parking lot around the corner where I popped the hood and noticed my engine coolant tank bone dry. I topped it up, waited for some help and about fifteen minutes later it started up and drove like before, still stuttering.

My car drove the rest of the way home with no problem. Now though, I can see what I believe is my engine coolant leaking underneath my car and onto another part above the belt (I don't know what that part is called). I haven't driven my car for two days now but it still fires up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Because of the long weekend I can't take it to a shop yet. My dad says it could be the water pump and my friend says it could be a blown head gasket, I'm hoping it's not the head gasket.

Also this hasn't been solved, I couldn't post this without selecting solved as a prefix.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
57 Posts
Have your shop do a compression test and cooling system pressure test. A leak around the front of the engine usually indicates a water pump leak.

Get the codes and post them up here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts