Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my air springs (rear load leveling suspension) on my 02 Envoy are dry-rot. I bought a new set a year or so ago to keep as spares, so I already have a set to go on.

How hard is it to replace the rear air springs? I cant even figure out how to get them off. Anybody else here ever remove or replace the rear air springs and can give me some tips?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Pretty easy. The shock is the down-limiting element of the suspension. Get the frame up on jack stands, and a floor jack under the differential to take a bit of weight off the axle. Then remove one end of each of the rear shocks, then you can lower the differential a bit more with the floor jack. That takes the stress off the air bags and they can be pulled out. A small prybar might help. You might even poke a hole in them to make sure the pressure's out. The lower spring perch has a slight dome to it that you have to pull the air bag over. The upper spring perch might trap the air bag with three small keyhole shaped slots, to the bag might have to be rotated a few degrees CCW to release.

Oh, pull the compressor fuse first so you're not fighting it.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

Taking the shock absorbers off makes a lot of sense, then the axle can drop and I can remove the air springs.

Maybe this upcoming weekend I will tackle this. When I did my brakes last week, the air springs are looking pretttttyyy bad and the compressor runs pretty frequently so Im surmising that the springs are leaking.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy the Haynes manual - it doesn't have all the answers, but you'll be way ahead of where you are without it.
Oh, I have it. One thing it doesnt tell you, hints and tricks that you'd get from people who have already performed the job ;)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I'm planning on doing this soon since I think my compressor finally gave up the ghost. I have the coil springs in a box in the back of the truck. I was hoping to be able to hold off at least until the weekend. Does anyone know if I can get away with using the shocks that came with the air ride suspension for the time being or should I replace them with the proper ones? I know the lengths and the strokes are different but I don't want to change it all at once before the week is out since this is my only vehicle.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I believe you have to disconnect the shocks to put the new springs in. You might as well do it all at one time.:m2:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Yeah I know the bottom bolts have to come out but I'm waiting to buy my shocks with the discount that a guy I work with gets via his girlfriend who works for a parts store. Unfortunately she's on vacation this week. I have a laundry list of parts I want to buy such as: shocks, tie rod ends, sway bar end links and bushings, thermostat and hoses. All in all she's gonna save me $150.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
OK. I thought you were just short on time. I don't know what the difference is between the two shocks but, if you drive carefully, it should be OK.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Oddly enough as far as I can tell the shocks for the air ride actually have a longer stroke than the coil spring type which I don't understand seeing that the air ride should more or less stay level whereas the coil springs are subject to squat under load.
17.65 comp. 23.25 ext. and 5.625 travel for the coil spring shocks
14.625 comp. 22.25 ext. and 7.625 travel for the air ride shocks
That's right from the Monroe website. I'm afraid of the springs coming out of the perches if the shocks reach full extension. :confused:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Well I did replace the bags with coils yesterday. I sweated my you now whats off while doing it. I was wondering if someone could help me though. I don't know if I have the springs in right or not. One end is coiled tighter than the other and I put that end in the lower perch on the axle but it doesn't quite sit all the way bottomed on it. I'm assuming the insulator goes on top so that would mean the "larger" end would go up there. Does anyone know the proper part number for the spring? Mine is part #15207736 but that doesn't jive with the PDF parts list. I know they did use several different springs thru the years. What about the rubber bump stop? I have the same part number as the list but mine are yellow and when I see pics of what most Trailvoys have they're red and the yellow ones are longer than the red ones by about an inch and the red ones are what's on my truck now. Here's some pics (sorry for the size!). Anyone have info I would be most appreciative! :hail:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts