Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago my bravada was doing the infamous crow hop on low speed turns. Figured it the the sensor in the encoder motor so I ordered one off ebay and it turned out to be broken. So I ended up putting the old one back in. The only problem was that the encoder motor somehow magically shifted itself so it would not line up the the clutch lever inside. So after much reading I figured out that I could get it to move to the correct position by hooking it up to the battery with speaker wire. The motor moved instantly into the correct position. I then proceeded to reinstall it. Test drove it the crow hop had magically disappeared. Everything was fine and dandy until the first snow fall today. The AWD won't kick in at all now no matter how bad i fish tail. I have no service indicators on my dash lit up at all (did not have any with crow hop issue either). I took the encoder motor back off and tried to test it in the same manner I did before with not much luck. I took it to an auto electric shop in town to have them look at it. They tested it on the spot and got it to move maybe 5 degrees (not much at all) and from my research it sounds like it's supposed to move 120 degrees and go back and forth when bench testing it. They are going to take it apart tomorrow and look for any signs of damage. Do you think the motor is the source of my issues? Would the motor being bad not trigger any service lights on my dash? Could it have locked in the 4wd drive mode and when I removed it the transfer case automatically went back into 2wd drive mode causing the mysterious misalignment on reinstall? Thoughts, feelings much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Encoder motor is usually the source with the Smartrak systems. If that doesn't fix your problem, which it should, i would start looking into the TCCM

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Encoder Motor Assessment

So I stopped in today to check on the status of my encoder motor and what do ya know a couple of the gears had started to strip and one gear completely broke off. They couldn't do anything to fix it so I probably am going to order a reman for $110. Does anyone have any experience with reman encoder motors? Is it better to go with a new one for $160 or even more expensive 240-280?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

So replaced the encoder motor today and everything is working beautifully now. the binding while turning at low speeds fiasco must have been my encoder motor locking up and destroying its innards. when i removed it a couple months ago and then reinstalled it i believe my transfer case shifted back to two wheel drive somewhere along the way. i never noticed the 4wd being out until recently with the snowfall, so more than likely its been out since then. so if you own a bravada and you experiencing the binding ordeal, try replacing with a reman encoder motor. its super easy to replace (4 bolts and unplugging a connector). i found my encoder motor (search for transfer case motor not encoder motor) on partsgeek for 120 shipped plus 10 back for the core charge. so rather than spending 600$ at the stealership (if not more) i'd say give this a try. thank you for everyone at this forum (especially the roadie as i've come across so many informative posts from him in my quest for repair) it was a lifesaver. i'll post any troubles i have with this reman (if any). i hope everything stays running smooth!! thanks again!!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
8 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Had the same problem about 1 year ago. Had a local mechanic replace the encoder for me.

Question, did you have any problems with aligning the encoder and the transfer case? I am putting another encoder motor on, but this time myself. Cannot for the life of me get the transfer case in the correct position. It needs to move about another 10 to 20 degrees to line up. Just thought I would ask you to see if you had any problems.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but not this time

the first time i was in there i had a hell of a time with that alignment issue. eventually we just hooked it up to the car battery with some speakerwire for like 3 seconds and it shifted perfectly into the correct position after my buddy had spent like an hour trying to get it on..lol

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
42 Posts
Can you tell me the part number on this encoder motor? I'm finding two types - a big metal one and a smaller, black plastic one. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts