Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first post. Id like to start by saying this is a great website and helps a lot of people avoid getting ripped off while allowing them to educate themselves about their vehicles.

Now, the bad news. I have an 02 Bravada with 90,000 miles. My wife drives it and three times now it has actually shut down while driving. It is not a gas related or mis-fire but the entire electrical system seems to reset. After it shuts down I will try to start it and will get all the diagnostics, lights, etc but no fire. (No attempt to fire even) Apparently no power is going to the starter.

I am assuming it is either a safety switch in the shifter or an ignition switch problem. While the car is unable to start I cannot shift gears even with the key on. The tachometer will jump while the key is on, and the key will turn back and forth but with no fire.

I checked battery connections, all connections I can see, jiggled the key, hit the gear shifter, shook wires in the steering column and tried to make sure all connections were tight. After about three days the car may start sometimes it takes longer. It then runs great until it shuts down again.

Please let me know what I should do. I am at my wits end and am ready to take to dealership, however I would like to know what to have them replace beforehand so I don't get charged a ridiculous amount to just diagnose the problem.

Thanks again, sorry for the extra long post, just wanted to get all the symptoms on here.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. :tiphat

As for the shutting off problem, it sounds to me like the ignition switch. They are a known problem area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts