Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOT SOLVED Swapping lq4 6.0 with built 4l65e(by myself) with 88mm turbo into 2002 Bravada. Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
OK, post count is showing as "one", you are off.

See if you can edit the title so it doesn't say "Solved", I don't know why it says that, bugs me.

Give us some details on your build, was it built when you bought it? How long have you owned it, how long before you started messing with it?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea so I will be using a np149 transfer case. I believe from measuring my c3 gmc the front driveshaft will work with pan mounted diff. So i got one already. The pain is finding the motor mounts.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I obtained an engine harness from an 2003 trailblazer v8. And i rewired a plug that is piggybacked into the 4.2 trailblazers 3rd pcm plug. I unhooked all plugs from 4.2 harness and hooked my harness and ecm (from 05 cadillac escalade). It did the security learn and would click the starter relay. And all communications with bcm and modules were good. So hopefully once it swapped in it will be plug and play.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
How long have you been working on this? Sounds like you really tore into this project.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lol, about a month. And i just found my lower mounts after the millionth junkyard. Took about a week of comparing wiring diagrams to figure it all out. And arguing with junkyards about the gas pedals for v8s being different.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
So at what stage are you at right now? Engine and transmission in the car yet? Have you got the turbo mounted and plumbed in?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.2 is still in Bravada. I'm building a high hp 4l60. Done a ton a research and bought about 1200 in parts for trans. I'm prepping all components for install. Ls9 head gaskets studs new set of lifters and baskets. I plan on getting it running without turbo hooked to intake. Tune it with efilive. Trans has been a learning experience. Also had a stock input drum modified (buddy owns machine shop)

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
np149 that was free because it was "junk" (oil pump filter was plugged with silicone) And a saab 8.6 g86 to replace 8 inch. Still have to do oil pickup mod, moving it backward so it doesn't oil starve. I will post progress as it happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How do you edit it so it doesn't say solved? it said i had to pick one and that was the only one.
And there were no mods to this thing when a got it. $500 and trans is bad.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Better pic of custom input drum

I have 7 alto reds in here with .106 full thickness steels pondering modifying end plate to fit 8th friction. Any suggestions? I've read you go to thin on steels it warps them. Also the problem with flex which i dont think I'll have even if i make it fit another friction.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smart shell with thrust bearing

I really like how this shell takes the load of the small torrington bearing inside the 5 pinion planetary.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok finally got this. 500 bucks for a 140000 mile 6.0 (just broke in lol). Don't need harness so that will go to the 87 iroc 6.0 swap. Nasty looking thing out of a plow truck. Time to strip it down and clean her up. ls9 gaskets arp head studs, new oil pump, chain and 6.2 tensioner mod. Oh and a new set of gm lifters and baskets. Grind the valves and new stem seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
awd coupler

So i knew this was junk, so i decided to take it out to look at connector shaft to see if it was bad. (Of course it is). But if you want a surefire way to get one out without breaking it, this is how you do it. I've always got them out in 1 piece. Take a pry bar and lightly put pressure between pan and actuator or coupler. Then take an air hammer. and go back and forth (stay away from the mounting bolt holes, Otherwise you'll have to ream them out where its dented)SEE MIDDLE PIC. Just keep light pressure with pry bar pushing it out. And work it back and forth with air hammer like a half inch of rotation. Comes out in like 2 minutes (Not Broken, Well it may be junk in the first place like mine but at least the housing isn't broken off) Clean it and anti-sieze(silver not gold)the part going back in pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the first wave of stripping and descaling done. What a mess. You guys are lucky down south without Minnesota salt trying to eat things away. Maybe tomorrow I'll do the heads If i'm not too busy. Also need to fab the oil pump pickup to the back of the 5.3 pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Was just wondering how many people are interested in this build? I appreciate any comments good or bad. Hopefully I can inspire someone to not be afraid of taking on any task. Those front end actuators are actually really easy to rebuild and have kits on ebay of the internals for fairly cheap. I think it was $190 for one you assemble. If it's as bad as mine it's not fixable .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts